Music Kids is Chinook School of Music’s early childhood music program. We use a modern approach to music education based on current research supporting the positive role music plays on brain development. Classes are designed for children, six months to five years of age. Our students develop fundamental musical skills in a joyful and fun-filled environment.
We use an eclectic combination of instruments such as the piano, guitar, violin, drums, bells, rhythm shakers, and xylophones to teach young children listening skills, motor coordination and following musical direction. Music Kids curriculum combines traditional songs, classical melodies, and original music. We provide a fundamental skill set that prepares children for their continued musical education.
Why start music lessons in infancy?
- Studies show that exposure to music facilitates a child’s emotional and cognitive growth and development.
- Parents and children learn activities and repertoire together that enrich and enhance their lives.
- The mastery of musical skills strengthens confidence and self-esteem.
- Families build their repertoire of children’s songs and activities.
What will my child learn?
6 – 24 Months (with parental guidance)
- Sound recognition: recognizing and responding to auditory stimuli.
- Fine and gross motor skills: playing instruments and moving to music.
- Developmental milestones: sharing, taking turns, participating in group activities.
2 Year olds (moving away from parental guidance)
- Critical listening: recognizing and following instruction through interpreting sound.
- Fine and gross motor skills: finger movement, mallet coordination and more.
- Following direction: children follow cues from the teacher without parental encouragement.
- Developmental milestones: identifying colours, sharing, counting.
3 - 4 Year olds (parent free class)
- Social independence.
- Rhythmic development: visual and aural recognition and performance of rhythms.
- Tonal recognition: the introduction of notes.
- Musical terminology: dynamics and more.
4 - 5 Year olds (parent free class)
Music Kids 4&5-year-old group classes are laying the foundation for private lessons in any instrument. In this class, children will begin basic note reading. They will focus on the C scale using letter names and solfege (do, re, mi) using handbells, xylophones and the piano. Children will enhance their basic rhythmic knowledge creating more complex rhythms that they will learn to perform both clapping and on different instruments. Children will enjoy a variety of instruments, songs, and games to strengthen their musical knowledge.
Music Kids Private Lessons (ages 4+)
Pre-requisite: Children must be a minimum of 4 years of age. If your child is younger than 4, permission must be granted from the instructor.
- Independence: one-on-one learning environment with the teacher.
- Student-led exploration: a variety of instruments and activities are used to teach skills and concepts.
- Fundamentals: In preparation for private lessons students learn musical note reading skills, rhythmic recognition, and performance etiquette.
- Theory: Students learn notation and rhythm.
- Bridge to private lessons: Children discover their musical interests allowing parents insight into which instrument is best suited for their child's future musical studies.