Stated on the Government of Canada Website:
“The children’s arts tax credit is a non-refundable tax credit that allows you to claim eligible fees paid in 2016 up to a maximum of $250 for the cost of registration or membership of your or your spouse’s or common-law partner’s child in a prescribed program of artistic, cultural, recreational or developmental activity. An additional amount of $500 is available if the child is eligible for the disability tax credit and a minimum of $100 has been paid in eligible fees in the year.
The children’s arts tax credit is a non-refundable tax credit. Non-refundable tax credits reduce your federal tax. However if the total of your non-refundable credits is more than your federal tax, you will not get a refund for the difference.
The maximum tax credit of $37.50 ($112.50 for a child eligible for the disability tax credit) is calculated by multiplying the lowest personal income tax rate (15% in 2016) by the eligible amount for each child.
For 2017 and subsequent taxation years, the children’s arts tax credit and the additional amount for children eligible for the disability tax credit will no longer be available.
How can you obtain your 2016 receipt from Chinook School of Music for income tax purposes?
Parents wishing to obtain their CSM receipt can search their email inbox for their receipt that was automatically emailed by CSM at the time of registration. Alternatively, parents can download their tax receipt from their CSM customer portal.
How to access your CSM customer portal:
Every parent at CSM has an online customer portal. If you registered for music lessons over the telephone, our administration has set this up for you. Here is how to access it:
1. Go to www.chinookschoolofmusic.com
2. At the top of the webpage, there is a blue bar that says “Login to my account”
3. Your login is the email address that you provided to CSM at the time of registration.
4. If you have not already set up a password, please click “Forgot my password” and follow the prompts. Go to your email and reset your password to something you will remember for future use.
5. Once you are in the customer portal, you will see a number of options on the screen. Please choose the option in the top left that says “Print Tax Receipts From 2016 Onward - Use Parent Names Only)".
6. The key here is to choose your own name or both adult names in your family so the system will generate a report showing all of your children on one receipt.
7. Click the button that says “Run Report”
8. A PDF report that you can print off or send to your accountant as an email attachment will be generated for you. You will see your children’s’ names listed as well as the total value of your lessons and the amount paid. This receipt contains all of the information required by your accountant for the 2016 Children’s Arts Tax Credit.